Rep. Allen West (R-Fla.) may support parts of President Obama’s health care law, but he has a problem with the 10 percent tax on tanning salons. He told a mostly Democratic group of seniors at a retirement home near West Palm Beach, Florida, that he thinks the provision is racist, according to the Palm Beach Post.
“You want to talk about something that’s really racist? They have a tanning tax,” he said. “I’m not tanning.”
It was not the first time a conservative has made the claim that the tax discriminates against light-skinned people.
At another event Wednesday, West blasted the Affordable Care Act but admitted he likes two of its provisions, the requirement that insurance companies allow children to stay on their parents’ plans until age 26 and expanded coverage for people who have pre-existing conditions.
“The things I just outlined could probably fit in about 10 to 15 pages,” he said. “It’s the other 2,680 pages of the Patient Protection Affordable Care Act that will be detrimental to the United States.
Like all House Republicans, West voted to repeal the entire law last year.
For more click here.
- Rep Allen West on Iran “We are running out of time” (lettingfreedomring.com)
- Rep Allen West ” talk is cheap when dealing with despots, dictators, autocrats, and theocrats” (lettingfreedomring.com)
- Rep Allen West Editorial “Mr. President, please don’t play the race card in 2012″ (lettingfreedomring.com)
- Allen West: The New Black Panther bounty on Zimmerman is a hate crime (lettingfreedomring.com)
- Allen West, black conservatives challenge black-voter ‘myths’ (lettingfreedomring.com)
- Allen West: ‘Is Someone Playing with Unemployment Numbers?’ (lettingfreedomring.com)