West said he was referring to the Congressional Progressive Caucus. | AP Photo
The Florida Republican, and tea party favorite, made the comments while speaking in Jensen Beach, Fla. Tuesday evening but didn’t go as far as to say names he’d heard or from whom.
However, at the same event, West said he was referring to the Congressional Progressive Caucus, the largest Democratic caucus, which has more than 75 members.
In a video clip of the event posted Wednesday, West was responding a question from a constituent asking “What percentage of the American legislature do you think are card-carrying Marxists?”
“That’s a fair question,” West says in the video. “I believe there’s about 78 to 81 members of the Democratic Party that are members of the Communist Party.”
He also criticized President Barack Obama, who spoke in Florida Tuesday about raising taxes for the wealthy, saying the president was “scared” to have a discussion on oil drilling and tax cuts, the Post reported.
“I really wish that, standing here before you, was Allen West and President Obama,” West said Tuesday, according to the Post. “We could have a simple discussion. But that ain’t ever gonna happen.”
“Why not?” an audience member asked.
“Cuz he was too scared!” West responded.
For more information click here.
- Rep Allen West on Iran “We are running out of time” (lettingfreedomring.com)
- Rep Allen West “Let’s End The Devastating Effects Of Obamanomics – Sign The Petition Today” (allenwestrepublic.wordpress.com)
- Rep Allen West ” talk is cheap when dealing with despots, dictators, autocrats, and theocrats” (lettingfreedomring.com)
- Rep Allen West “Obama Visit Shows ‘Divide and Rule’ has replaced ‘Hope and Change” (allenwestrepublic.wordpress.com)
- Allen West Compares Socialist Democrat Party to National Socialists (lettingfreedomring.com)
- Rep Allen West “The Presidents actions and words more so resemble the flailing of a drowning person” (usamericanfreedom.com)